Hello guys, this is me Saikat Datta, the admin of “unknownsaikat.com”. Hope you guys are doing great in these tough times.
Today I am going to tell you all about web development or website development. So without any further delay let’s begin.
Websites are an extremely necessary aspect of any business, be it online or even offline. Online businesses are booming specially during the pandemic and offline businesses are transforming themselves into an online one to keep their business running.
All companies or brands are based on the internet primarily through websites.
How many brands or tech startups do you think have a website developer within their own team? Not many, going by the online surveys uploaded some top survey lists. Having one or knowing one is an added advantage because finding and hiring a web developer in 2021 is a tedious job. The internet is filled with scammers and fraudsters. Also it is very difficult to judge the skills of a developer, especially the freelancer ones, before hiring.
When on a tight budget for the development department, choosing the fitting ones among a mob of plenty, is heinous.
All the more reasons to begin learning the art of developing a website yourself.
I will guide you through the complete step by step procedure of becoming an expert in the field of web development.
WHAT IS WEB DEVELOPMENT?
It is the skill of creating fully functional websites using either drag and drop website builders or using the programming languages at your disposal to program our intended web pages.
HOW MANY TYPES OF WEB DEVELOPERS ARE THERE?
There are 3 types of web developers around.
- Front-end developer: Any developer who only codes or builds the graphical user interface (GUI) of a website, which the website visitors can view and interact with that particular website.
- Back-end developer: Any developer who only codes or builds the structure of a software application. He/she uses the programming languages and frameworks required for creating the backend server of the website which also includes the databases.
- Full-stack developer: Any developer who codes or builds both the client side (front-end) and the server side (back-end) of a website. He/she also has the ability to program a browser and a server.
HOW TO BEGIN WEB DEVELOPMENT AS A BEGINNER?
As a beginner, you must at first get your hands dirty with the structure of a website like the header, the section, the footer, the menu bar, etc..
After getting yourself acquainted with it, dive into HTML. HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is the structure of any website in the backend (similar to the skeleton of a human body). Play around with different tags in HTML like the Paragraph tag, Heading tag, Form fields, Table tag, etc. and create different types of web structures on Home Page.
Now come to CSS which stands for Cascading Style Sheet. The function of CSS is to design the web structure created with HTML. CSS provides access to a number of designing options to decorate your web pages as per requirement. Some of the many available options are border, text alignment, font color, background color, text decoration and also little more complex concepts like grid, flex box, floats and so on. All these variety of CSS properties and selectors are used for styling your HTML web document and particularly control how the HTML elements shall be displayed.
Completing both HTML and CSS you will be able to create beautiful and responsive websites with proper website elements like how you see live on already running websites. You can divide your page into segments, create multiple pages and design each segment of each page separately (through CSS selectors) but you won’t be able to add functionalities to your pages.
HTML and CSS are markup languages and not programming languages. To add functionalities/generate a response on the web page on the actions of the users, you will need programming languages.
WHAT ARE THE PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES USED IN WEB DEVELOPMENT?
Some of the important programming languages used for coding a website are:
- PYTHON – Python is one of the most simple, light and powerful programming languages for developing websites and software. It has a number of frameworks to fuel some of the busiest sites of the world like Reddit(https://www.reddit.com), Mozilla(https://www.mozilla.org/en-US), Spotify(https://www.spotify.com/us) and etc. Two of the most used python frameworks are Flask and Django.
- JAVA – Java is a high level programming language and a software developing platform. Java is a secure language for developing full-stack websites with both the front and back end coded in Java itself.
- C++ – C++ is a modern and highly developed programming language for web development. It uses very handy functionalities with complete manual control to the developer for setting up the server side back end. The standard FastCGI also supports the accessibility of stable C++ server codes.
- PHP – PHP is an old and trusted scripting language for the purpose of web development. It is fast, flexible and stable enough to host from blog websites to fully functional multipage websites.
(These top 5 programming languages you should learn for web development aren’t in order)
To sign off with a very important tip for all frontend developers, backend developer and full-stack developers, never deep dive into any particular language or field. Apply whatever you have learnt into building projects. Through projects your known concepts will grow stronger and some unknown concepts you will be able to muster while working on the projects. With each problem you face, research on the internet about its solution and like this your knowledge will enhance.